নিউজগার্ডেন ডেস্ক: ১৭ জানুয়ারি, ২০১৭
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some words. You can use one word more than once. 0.5×10 = 5
Self-control is (a) — the root of all virtues. Let (b) — man give rein (c) — his impulses and passion and (d) — that moment he yields (e) — his moral freedom. He is carried along (f) — current of life and becomes (g) — slave of his strongest (h) — for the time being. To be morally free, to be more than an animal (i) — man must be able to resist instinctive impulse and this can only be done by the (j) — of self-control.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10 = 5
Trees are (a) — to man in many ways. They provide us (b) — oxygen without which we cannot live more than a few minutes. They supply us with (c) — and food, give us shade and help to (d) — drought and (e) — . Unfortunately, we cannot realize the importance of trees. We cut them (f) — in large numbers. (g) — it is a suicidal (h) —. If we do not (i) — such acts soon, our country will, no doubt, turn into a (j) —.
3. Make five sentences using parts of sentences from each column of the table below:
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10 = 5
Love for one’s own country (a) — as patriotism. Everyone should (b) — great love for his country. Many of our freedom fighters (c) — their lives in 1971 for the sake of our country. The country men (d) — them forever. Some people are (e) — persistently for the development of the country. Everybody (f) — a patriot. When any natural calamity (g) — in the country, a patriot (h) — by the affected people. We should work (i) — the foot prints of the patriots. We should refrain from (j) — any work that is harmful for the country.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 1×5 = 5
“Good morning,” said the tourist. “Have you any room vacant?” “Yes, sir, Double or single?’ “I want one double,” said the tourist. The receptionist said, “We have a double room on the second floor.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10 = 10
a) No other relationship is as good as friendship. (superlative)
b) But all friends should not be believed equally. (active)
c) We may have some friends who are selfish. (simple)
d) A selfish friend is more harmful than a selfless enemy. (positive)
e) Who does not know the story of two friends passing through a forest? (Assertive)
f) They were taking about their love for each other. (compound)
g) Suddenly a bear came there growing. (complex)
h) The first friend climbed up a tree without thinking about his friend. (compound)
i) What a selfish friend he was! (Assertive)
j) The letter was not able to climb the tree. (Affirmative)
7. Complete the following sentences.
a) We must work hard in order that —.
b) A man who — cannot shine in life.
c) It is hard labour that —.
d) The idle cannot reach their target because —.
e) — unless you work hard.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5×10 = 5
King Solomon was (a) — (fame) for his (b) — (wise). He was blessed with (c) — (ordinary) knowledge and it was really beyond people’s (d) — (imagine). One day Queen of Sheba wanted to test him. Soloman was given two kinds of flowers. One was (e) — (nature) and the other was (f) — (artifice). As he had a close (g) — (associate) with nature, he had been (h) — (success) to differentiate them. In this way, his (i) — (repute) of (j) — (multidimension) knowledge spread all over the world.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5 = 5
(a) Nobody believes a cheat, — ?
(b) Everybody hates him, — ?
(c) He has to drag a miserable life, — ?
(d) He can hardly succeed in life, — ?
(e) Let us always speak the truth, — ?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 0.5×10 = 5
Women are, nowadays as important as men in the society. They constitute nearly half of our total population. (a) — there can be no denying the fact (b) — they too possess equal rights and duties (c) — men do. They have noble mission to fulfill as men. (d ) — they get opportunity, their genius, powers (e) — capacities will bloom fully.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 0.5×10 = 5
the teacher said to the boy where are you going now i am going to school said the boy did you go to school yesterday no the boy replied why did you not go i was suffering from fever said the boy.
Part: B Composition (40 Marks)
12. Suppose, you are Mahabub/Mahabuba. After graduation, you have completed a course on computer. You have seen a vacancy advertisement for the post of a computer operator in a recognized private company. Now, write a CV with a cover letter for the post. Your CV should not exceed one page. 8
13. Imagine, you are Rubel, a student of River Wiew High School, Jessore. Now, write an application to the headmaster of your school for taking necessary steps to set up a computer club. 10
14. Suppose, on the last vacation you were going to Dhaka by bus. Unfortunately, your bus met an accident but luckily there was no casualty of death. Now, write a paragraph on Causes of Road Accidents in Bangladesh. 10
15. Write a composition on “A Journey by Train”. 12
1. (a) the (b) a (c) to (d) from (e) up (f) the (g) the/a
(h) desire (i) a (j) exercise
2. (a) useful (b) with (c) clothes (d) prevent (e) flood
(f) indiscriminately (g) In fact (h) act (i) stop (j) desert
3. (i)The Taj stands at Agra in India.
(ii) It is one of the most beautiful buildings in the world.
(iii) Emperor Shajahan built it as tomb for his wife.
(iv) People like it most on a moonlit night.
(v) Everybody wants to see the Tajmahal
4. (a) is known (b) have (c) sacrificed (d) will remember (e) working
(f) respects (g) occurs (h) stands (i) following (j) doing
5. The tourist wished the receptionist good morning and asked him® if they had any room vacant. The receptionist respectfully replied in the affirmative and asked him(t) if he (t) wanted a double room or single. The tourist replied that he wanted one double room. The receptionist told the tourist that they had a double room on the second floor.
6. (a) Friendship is the best relationship.
(b) But we should not believe all friends equally.
(c) We may have some selfish friends.
(d) A selfless enemy is not as harmful as a selfish friend.
(e) Everybody knows the story of two friends passing through a forest.
(f) They were talking and it was about their love for each other.
(g) Suddenly a bear came there which was glowing.
(h) The first friend did not think about his friend and climbed up a tree.
(i) He was a very selfish friend.
(j) The letter was unable two climb the tree.
7. a) We must work hard in order that we can succeed in life.
b) A man who wastes time in idleness cannot shine in life.
c) It is hard labour that helps a man to reach his goal.
d) The idle cannot reach their target because they waste their valuable time.
e) You will suffer in the long run unless you work hard.
8. (a) famous (b) wisdom (c) extraordinary (d) imagination (e) natural (f) artificial (g) association (h) successful (i) reputation (j) multidimensional
9. (a) Nobody believes a cheat, do they?
(b) Everybody hates him, don’t they?
(c) He has to drag a miserable life, hasn’t he?
(d) He can hardly succeed in life, can he?
(e) Let us always speak the truth, shall we?
10. (a) So/Actually (b) that (c) as (d) If/Whenever (e) and
11. The teacher said to the boy, “where are you going now”. “I am going to school,” said the boy. “Did you go to school yesterday?” “No”, the boy replied. “Why did you not go?” “I was suffering from fever,” said the boy.